Sunday, December 25, 2011

Reflections On My Christmas Day

Another Christmas has come and gone this year. I am kind of glad it is done. This is what it looked like for us this year.








  

I really love Christmas with my kids. They are all so special and I am very grateful that Rinar and I can give them so much, though we probably gave them too much.  Surprise toy favorites: $1 laser pointer from Radio Shack.  They had fun for an hour playing with that thing.  I also found mini plastic animals at Goodwill for 59 cents and Harry would have been happy with just that.  When will I ever learn?

But Christmas kind of made me a little sad this year. I made sure to send or give something to every member of my family...parents, brothers and sisters.  Yet, didn't even get a phone call or text from anyone.  I wanted to see if anyone would remember me and call.  But, alas...  Thank goodness I have my Heather.  She is a very special sister. I have been so blessed to have her in my life.

Maybe I am being too hard on all of them or too prideful.  I heard this quote today in church by Howard W. Hunter...

“This year, mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. Write a letter. Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gentle. Laugh a little more. Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth. Speak your love and the speak it again.” 

Examine my demands on others. This has really stuck in my head. Maybe I expect too much in my relationships with family members.  I should have just called, but I was too stubborn. I just feel kind of sad right now. I hope tomorrow will be better.

But no matter what, I do rejoice in the Christmas spirit, because the Christmas spirit is the Christ spirit.  How grateful I am for His gift of eternal life. I rejoice in that.

2 comments:

Roxanibus said...

I understand a little of how you feel. You know, on my birthday, NONE of my parents, siblings or grandparents from NZ called? zero. I felt so hurt and forgotten! Especially when I make an effort to call them all the time. But when I went back this past month to visit, I realized it wasn't because they didn't care or think of me, sometimes life is just so crazy and unorganized, filled with things demanding their time and attention right then and there, that "out of sight is out of mind" and it really just slipped their mind for the moment. I'm sure they remembered later and felt bad.

I like that quote too. I"m going to have to copy it for my 2012 resolutions. Man, I seriously need to laugh more!

Hope you have a great week!

Hoku said...

Amen! I LOVE that quote and ought to make more of an effort to do ALL of those things. "Gladden the heart of a child" - loved that one especially. I need to set aside my title as crazy "drill sergeant" more often.

And maybe, just maybe, your siblings were waiting by their phones hoping someone would call them...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...