Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Prepare to be Wowed!!!

As I mentioned before in an earlier post, I fell in love with a play kitchen from my friend's website. It is totally awesome. I just had to have a play kitchen, now that I have a daughter. Yes, she is only 8 months old now, but you can never start too soon. I had to find an entertainment center that I could work some magic on, and as luck would have it only about a month later my neighbor was throwing this away.

It is a standard 90's entertainment center. Haven't you seen these everywhere and thought, yuck!


Now what do you think?

Did my husband I do a great job? It was my conception and vision. Okay, it was actually Erin's idea. I would have never thought of this in a million years. I just improved upon her vision.

My husband loves me when I come up with these awesome ideas and then he I spend hours executing my vision First of all, I took the top off. Then I pulled the top shelf off and moved it to where it is now the counter top. I bought the "sink" at Ikea, a standard silver bowl. My husband cut out the hole and reinstalled the counter top to its current location. I painted everything. My husband put the refrigerator door on from a scrap piece of MDF laying around our garage. I bought new locking hinges for the door and stove door at Home Depot. I also got the handles in the outdoor section and spray painted them a lovely lime green.

Rinar cut out the middle section of the door to make it look like an oven door and then screwed a piece of plexi glass on the backside. We re-used the sink front from part of a door as well. I actually cut that piece, but Rinar installed it. I painted the inside oven shelf silver metallic to make it look like a rack. I made the curtains and installed them by nailing them to the top. I haven't put in a window yet, but I was thinking I would put a mirror there, instead of a picture. I ordered oven nobs from eBay, and also got a black rotary phone from eBay as well. Wait, but it's green, you might say. Yep, I took off the cover and spray painted it, along with the handle. The thing was REALLY heavy, so he opened it up and took out the heavy part. It must have weighed at least 20 lbs!! I painted a chalk board to the right of it.

There are still some details I would like to add, but it will have to come as I have the time and the inclination to do it.

Oh, did you notice the light switch? That's right. One of those switches actually works and lights the whole thing up with a small LCD light. The other switch is just for play. Don't I have great ideas? Rinar just LOVES all of these ideas that take up his entire night of leisure and relaxation. Each of my ideas only takes him about an hour to execute, and I have LOTS of ideas. {{love you honey}}

Visit thecsiproject.com

27 comments:

bk said...

i AM wowed! julia is one lucky little girl. she can use it in another year; in the meantime, i will be playing with this kitchen when i visit.

Southern Kiwi said...

Hmm. Something tells me I need to get rid of my standard (a.k.a. yuck) 90's entertainment centre... Maybe I can find someone like you who wants to take it off my hands :o)

Meridy said...

Absolutely DARLING.

Cheryl said...

So retro and so cute!

Lanell said...

You guys did a WONDERFUL job!!! It looks amazing

Erin said...

Wow! The phone, the lighting, the fridge! Your kitchen rocks!

I wanted to do lights on Sutton's kitchen but Michael said it was overkill. I think you have proved that it is not overkill it is awesome! Well done!

Lindsay said...

That looks really great!

Brandy@YDK said...

came over from before after and I'm completely wowed! It looks totally awesome!

Danielle said...

Just saw this on Better After and I LOVE IT! You did an amazing job!!!!

Meredith said...

That's the best DIY kitchen I've ever seen! Forget ToysRUs I'm going to have to follow your lead and make my own! The light; GENIUS! I am so impressed!

M.O.T.B said...

Incredible, even my boys would love this idea. I am a new follower, I am having an anniversary celebration this week with a giveaway every day, come by!

Lisa H said...

yup.........definitely WOW! :)

Rebecca@This Present Life said...

Oh, I LOVE it! I've been keeping an eye out for a piece of furniture that I could turn in to a kitchen for my kids. It never even occurred to me to consider an entertainment center! I love the colors and the fabric that you used. It is soooo cute!

Saw you at Better After.

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

i would have NEVER thought that the ugly entertainment center could turn into such an AWESOME kids kitchen! you guys did such an unbelievably awesome job!!!

Paula said...

Wow! You really DO come up with GREAT ideas! You rocked this entertainment center kitchen! I wish I could think outside the box like you do! You seemed to have thought of every detail! Amazing!

Life in Rehab said...

Hi Kelly,
First time here after making the hop from Better After. What a sweet kitchen! I LOVE that you didn't go all pink and really rocked some trendy colors, and the phone and working light switch are just the best. Of course, a gorgeous baby like that deserves nothing less. Let her bros take it for a spingh...my 17 year old son does the cooking segment on my blog, so who knows?

Stacie said...

Kelly-

THIS IS AWESOME!! LoVe those bright colors! I featured it here:

http://thecreativecrate.blogspot.com/2010/07/another-fabulous.html

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Kharlie Bug said...

OMG this has got to be the coolest kitchen ever! This is fabulous!

Stacey said...

This is SO cute. I have an old entertainment center sitting in my garage just waiting for someone with a truck to take it to the thrift store...I may just have to hold on to it!

~Lisa~ said...

I absolutely love this idea!

www.koreanamericanmommy.blogspot.com/

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

LOVE this. I did a entertainment center to play kitchen makeover to, and I never thought of making that one side a fridge. GENIUS!

Just Another Day in Paradise

Shannon said...

Shut the front door!!! My daughter is also 8 months old and I have to start mine now! Creative Genius -- u are!

Jane said...

Totally adorable!

Stacey said...

We did it...thanks for the inspiration! You can see our kitchen here:
http://www.pbandjoy.com/2010/12/entertainment-center-to-play-kitchen.html

Thanks!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

This just makes me smile :) You've done a fabulous job! My daughter would love this, but I have no idea where I would put it. But I (my husband) still might give it a bash! Thanks. Can't wait to have a look through your blog :)
Megs

Jessica said...

I just wanted to let you know that you totally inspired me and after I saw a picture of your kitchen. I started mine the next day.
http://www.utahcountymom.com/2011/07/lilys-play-kitchen-diy-wood-kitchen-for.html

Then after I finished I was showing off pictures to one of my nicest friends (Nancy Nay) and she sent me your site showing me what you did. Turns out you guys know eachother! Small world.

Thanks so much for sharing your great ideas!

lilmrslawley said...

aww i wish i would have seen this before i did my daughters play kitchen!! you have some really cute ideas i would have def. stolen haha! but this was a really cute project for us to do as well! after i did my daughters ive started seeing these things all over the place!! and hey someone elses junk is another persons treasure! but my daughter absolutely loooves her kitchen!! we are redoing her bedroom for christmas so i may have to redo it and paint it different colors other than white :( and i may steal a couple of your ideas :) i hope you dont mind!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...