Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Lunar Morning

Do you know what we did this morning?  Rinar, Raef, Zach and I woke up in the 5 o'clock hour to watch a lunar eclipse.  Raef is always willing to get up at some absurd hour to be able to do astronomy stuff. I love that about him.  I probably would have just slept through it, but thanks to Rinar, and Raef's enthusiasm, they made it all happen.

As we laid on the floor in the living room watching the earth cast a shadow on the moon, which took about one hour to completely cover, Zach regaled us with lots of facts about the moon. 

"Dad, the moon is not a few miles away, it is thousands of mile away."

 "Did you know it goes from 300 degrees F, to minus 80?"

"The moon looks as big as the sun because it is a lot closer." Etcetera, etcetera.


I felt very educated at 5:30 am.

The eclipse was beautiful. I am grateful I could watch it from the comfort of a warm house. It was just above the mountain ridge, nestled in between pitch pine trees. When it was done, I went back to bed.

2 comments:

NormaKimokeo said...

Oooooooooooo......I'm jealous! I wanted to watch the lunar eclipse, but our "showing" was at 4:00 a.m.! And since I didn't get to bed until almost midnight, I decided to turn off my alarm. Oh well. I'll try again in three years....

i said...

Lucky! I sure wish I could see it from inside my house.:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...