Thursday, January 23, 2014

Singing With the Angels

No funeral gloom, my dears, when I am gone,
Corpse-gazings, tears, black raiment, graveyard grimness.
Think of me as withdrawn into the dimness,
Yours still, you mine.
Remember all the best of our past moments and forget the rest,
And so to where I wait come gently on.
-Ellen Terry

I got the call this morning at 7:34 a.m. It was Rinar. It happened. His father has passed out of this world and gone back to his heavenly home.

Rinar spent all of yesterday with his parents. And then he stayed at their house. Linda went to sleep and Rinar stayed up with his dad, giving him pain meds. At 1:00 a.m. he went to sleep. Lynn had labored, uneasy breathing. So Rinar set his alarm for 2:30 a.m. to get up again and give him another dose of pain medication. When the time came, it was very quiet. He was gone.  Between the hours of 1 and 2:30, Lynn passed away.

Rinar had to call all of his siblings to break the news. Everyone came over quickly and once all five children were there, they awoke Linda to tell her. Then they stayed up all night crying, laughing, sharing stories and memories.

Rinar waited until morning to call me. I told Julia first because she was awake in my room. Her little blues eyes got sad and she had a little frown. It was very sweet. Then I told all of my other children. 

Throughout the day, a lot of neighbors and friends stopped by Linda's house to wish her well and offer her their condolences. I got many heartfelt messages of comfort from our friends as well. 

At home, we had a regular old day. But around dinner time, Julia came up to me out of the blue and asked me how long it takes to get to heaven.  She asked that question several times. I guess she has been thinking about him all day.

Linda has asked Raef and Zach to play "Consider the Lilies of the Field" for his funeral service. It was Lynn's favorite song. I heard him perform it many times. He had a beautiful baritone voice.

And now he is singing with the angels.  Rest in peace Grandpa Lynn. We love you so much and know that we will see you soon.

1 comment:

nancynay said...

So sorry to Rinar and all of you for your great loss, Kelly. You are in our thoughts and prayers. --with love from Dave and Nancy and family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...