Thursday, December 19, 2013

Salt Dough Ornaments

I decided to do salt dough ornaments with my kids. I wanted more personal ornaments for our tree. I really wanted my kids to make some. It is a special thing to get the Christmas decorations out and to see the ones my kids have made. I treasure it so much.  I had the stuff out and when I had song practice with the girls for the Christmas breakfast, they saw the stuff. 

Then I had the bright idea to invite them over to make some of their own. It is the perfect gift for their mothers. And since I love their mothers, what a better way to give them a really good gift. It is just what I would want to get from my kids.  

I contacted their mothers and told them to make sure to tell their girls. This enabled them to invite friends, and they did! On Tuesday, this cute group came over and made a huge mess, making tons of ornaments. It takes at least two hours to cook them. This project was going to take two visits to my house because after they were cooked, the ornaments needed some paint and sparkle.



I had a few of them come back today and the rest will be here tomorrow. They are all sworn to secrecy. No moms can know what we are doing. It is rewarding to watch them create special ornaments, work really hard and put a lot of thought into it. They made them for all of their siblings, their parents, and maybe a grandparent or two. Precious.

If you want something to be a certain way, you can't sit back and wait for someone else to do it. I would love for my daughter to be able to do this for me. And I know if I would love it, other moms will too. Therefore, why not be the person to make it happen, right?

And when you think about it, what is the big deal? The ornaments cost practically nothing, I am home anyway, and the mess just kind of blends in with the rest of the mess under the table.  But I get to see 7 girls really happy. It is totally worth it.

Plus, Julia was sitting there with the rest of them working hard, too. And these are the kind of girls I want her to admire and emulate. She can only get better by being around them. What a blessing.

1 comment:

NormaKimokeo said...

What a GREAT idea! And I am totally with you on the mind set of making things happen. And I get that the outcome outweighs the mess... You are my kind of person! As Anne of Green Gables would say, "We are kindred spirits!" for sure. XO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...