Saturday, January 21, 2012

Party Like a 10 Year Old

Raef and Zach turned 10 last week.  Wow! I have been a parent for like, a decade.  So, of course we threw a party for them.  It was a big success.  I had the boys clean up the house.  They were surprisingly motivated because they had good motivation.  Then they decorated.  All you need is a bag of balloons and some scotch tape and eager boys and voila! 

I wasn't sure when to schedule this shindig because of kids' schedules so I asked around at Cub Scouts on Tuesday and it seemed that Friday night would be the best time. Kids are way too busy on Saturday.  I made some calls, sent out an evite, and we were on the way. No sense in dillydallying.  I like waiting until the very last minute.  I even remembered Wednesday night to ask my friend Wendy to make cupcakes.

Aren't they awesome?  She did Mario for Zach and Legos for Raef.  Wendy is uber-talented.  If you need a special cake or cupcakes in the Reno area, she is the one to call.

One less thing I had to worry about.


I set up some activities for the boys.  I had made a scavenger hunt for outside, but the weather changed quickly and I decided to keep it all indoors. Instead, I whipped up a word search and told them that when they finished, they would get a prize. It was full-sized Skittles candy bag and stuff like that. They loved it and pretty much everyone did the word search.  

Then I had lots of office supplies and instructions on how to build weapons.  It was a huge hit. The book is called Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction and my boys totally love it. They are at the age where they love to construct things.  The other boys did too.  It made it even more fun because once they built their pen bow and arrow set and catapult they had a war and were running all over the house having lots of fun.

Back row (left-right): Aleks, Adam R., Porter, Ryker, Adam D.
Middle: Raef, Trevor, Ethan, Anders, Gus, Brenan
Front: McLean, Ryan, Jaden, Zach, Tucker

I also had stuff for them to make their own pizzas.  I kept them coming in batches so kids were constantly eating.  Plus, with the Doritos, licorice and cookies, the kids seemed pretty well fed.  What can I say? I am a stickler for healthy food.  And surprisingly enough, they ate all the cookies!


These are the boys my kids wanted to invite. I reminded them of a few they forgot, but I didn't really make suggestions beyond that.  There were a few boys that couldn't come, but it was neat that so many boys were able to celebrate with us, even with the wild fire evacuations the day before.

Trevor and Raef

Ethan and Julia

Happy birthday Raef and Zach.  You are on your way!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...