Friday, July 30, 2010

Hoover Dam

Once again, we made our yearly trek to Hoover Dam. Why, oh why do I always do this in July? It is beyond flippin' hot and there is no shade and the solar rays bounce off of the lava rock. It is brutal. But you know, a tradition is a tradition.

It only took about 45 minutes to drive 3 miles to get there. Then we paid $7 to park, almost evaporated in the sun, spent 10 minutes getting pictures and got the heck out of that dam place. Ha ha...you knew I would have to put a stupid dam joke in there somewhere.

I mean, look at this dam traffic.

I could have jogged there faster.



If you notice to the right of the picture is an empty road. That is the soon-to-be-opened highway and bridge over the dam, so that it doesn't take 2 hours to get through like it does now.

It looks like the bridge is done. Isn't that a sweet shot. I just started taking pictures...aiming my camera in the general direction as I drove by. My eyes were on the road the whole time. I just snapped, snapped, snapped and luckily got one. I love digital cameras.

Ta da! You can make a comparison with my post from last year.



Raef and Zach are really into the cartoon "Avatar" right now. I think they are trying to bend something in this shot. Raef was director and director of photography.


Isn't that an amazing shot of the bridge. I am so excited for it to finally open. Arizona will actually be accessible now. I won't have to grace Laughlin with my presence anymore.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I'm impressed you managed to fit that tradition in!

We got stuck in that dam place once! A tanker truck rolled over on the highway and they shut it down. We took the tour (it was the summer before 911 when you could still tour it) but it did NOT fill the time.

It could have been worse though, a couple from back east was literally stuck on top of the dam in the traffic jam and missed their $500 Elton John show in Vegas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...