Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Journey to the Salt Lake City Marathon

It is a new year and I have new plans for my life. Last year I wanted to lose weight and get in shape, of course. But it just didn't happen. I am sure it is because I had no concrete goals.  Not this year.  I have written them down and now I just need to implement it, one day at a time.  My first goal is to run the Salt Lake City Marathon.  The race is April 18th.  This is my first day of a sixteen week training program. I am going to document my journey and share it all with you when I have a medal around my neck.

January 2, 2012

Today was tough. Yikes. My first day and I was hurting. I only had to run 3 miles. I can usually run around a 9:00 minute pace on flat ground if I feel okay, but not today. It was like I had weight around my ankles.  It might also be because I weigh 20 pounds more than I should. My starting weight is 165.  Holy cow. It can really creep up on you.  But my mental status is pretty good. It hurt, but I don't feel discouraged. I can only get better from here, and I will.


I ran out and back on the old 395 starting at the Bower's Mansion parking lot. The weather was beautiful, a bit cold but absolutely perfect for running.

January 4, 2012

I have caught a nasty little cough. I went to the doctor last night and since it is a virus, there is really nothing they can do.  This really sucks when you have to run and cough at the same time. Nevertheless, I got it done on the treadmill this morning.  

4 miles begrudgingly done...41:30.

January 5, 2012

Whoa, today was super tough. It was only 3 miles, but I just couldn't hack it.  My cough has gotten worse, so I can barely breathe. I am sure that has a huge affect on my dismal performance.  I couldn't even complete 3 miles. I did 2.58, and that took my 30:00.  I went outside because it is like summer right now.  I also decided to explore some dirt roads, so it was very hilly and a bit treacherous at points.  I am just happy I didn't phone it in today and I did something.  I can build on that.

January 7, 2012

The long Saturday run of five miles. I got it done. Rinar went with me and we found a cut through to Callahan Road. It was a nice run, even though I still coughed quite a bit.  It was really slow, but the first mile is through sage brush and treacherous terrain.  But once we got to the road, I definitely got into a groove.  Even still, it took just over an hour to get it done.

January 9, 2012

This cough is going to be the death of me. I parked myself on the treadmill to do 3 miles.  Cough, cough, cough, cough, cough.  This does not work well with my weak bladder muscles, if you know what I mean.  It is so friggin' annoying.  I know I can run a lot faster, but between the coughing and wheezing, I am just glad I finished. Even so, for a Monday I ran 3 miles in 30:28.  I know it is slow, but I am looking forward to better days.

January 11, 2012

This is my Wednesday run and I am feeling a lot better. I still have a runny nose and a cough, but for some reason I didn't have any coughing fits on my run.  It really made a difference. I decided to run outside today because it is still unseasonably warm weather.  I am really loving this. After putting in one mile in the neighborhood, I ran out Joy Lake Road towards Mt. Rose Highway.  This has an extreme elevation change, so the hill was an absolute killer. At one point I was running at about a 15:00 minute pace.  It puts the hurt on, believe me.  But I was able to make up for it on the way back, and get to a low 8:00 minute pace coming down the hill.  I hope my time will pick up as I lose some weight and get into better shape.

Overall, I had a really good time of 43:00.  I need to remember this day when I have apprehension about running. Right now, I feel so good. My legs are floating and feel so wonderful. I heart running.

January 21, 2012

I haven't updated my status for a little bit, but that doesn't mean I haven't been running.  I am still batting 1000.  I can feel myself improving each time and the time is slowly getting faster. Just this week I broke 30 minutes on the treadmill.  I know it isn't that great, but it is still progress in the right direction.  

Today is Saturday and I went running with Roz, a gal from my ward. It was perfect because she runs at my speed and our fitness level is about the same. She wants to get faster too.  Roz is going to run the Six Tunnels Half Marathon with me in March.  This is her end race, but just a warm-up for me.  We drove to the valley floor and ran around the trails at Damonte Ranch park.  The weather was ideal for running, except the last mile when it got a bit windy.  It was a 7 mile run, and we completed it in about 1 hour 8 minutes and some change.  That makes the pace 9:40.  Roz ran just a tiny bit faster than I would have gone on my own, so that was a very good thing.  We will definitely be running together again.

January 25, 2012

I think I have had a breakthrough.  Today was great. I had a 5 miler to do and I decided to run around my neighborhood. Since I live on the side of a mountain, this is no small feat. It is exceptionally hilly and there is no way to avoid it.  I just decided to take it head on, and ran up Joy Lake Road and around there and then back.  For one part, it is very steep for over 1 mile.  But in the end, my time was really good.  I did it in 51:18.  So I averaged a little over 10:00 minute pace, with steep ascents.  Yes, I can feel myself getting stronger, both physically and mentally.

February 1, 2012

It has now officially been one month of running.  I haven't missed one yet.  I am very grateful that my running schedule only does 4 days because it makes it very manageable.  

Today I ran 5 miles on the treadmill.  My time was 47:45. I felt great.

I also went ahead and registered for the half marathon in Las Vegas. It is on March 17th, the Six Tunnels To Hoover Dam Half. It is supposed to actually go to the dam this year. I am excited.

The only thing is that I am supposed to run 17 miles on this weekend, so I will have to add 4 on to the end of the run or at the beginning.

February 11, 2012

In this last week I have acquired some new running gear. I got Zensah compression leg warmers, pink of course, and a running belt that hold two water bottles and  place for my phone and stuff.  I have used the compression socks every day this week and I love it!  My legs feel good.

Today I did eleven miles with Roz.  We ran out and back on the old 395. It is really beautiful over there and more importantly, it is flat.  But it was annoying that I got a pretty nasty cramp after about 8 miles.  Why?  I have not missed a run yet. I should be over the cramps. Grrr....  It is fun running with Roz and since I have misplaced my iPod shuffle, again, it was good to have someone to talk to while I trudged along.

Things continue to move on and I got it all done this week...4, 5, 4, 11.  Now the serious mileage begins.

February 24, 2012

Last week, Rinar was out of town and I had to do 12 miles. I wasn't sure how I was going to tackle that.  For some crazy reason I thought it would be a good idea to just run the whole thing on the treadmill on Friday night.  I put all the kids to bed and was able to get going at about 9:30pm.  I am not sure how I did it, but by some miracle I was done by 11:30.  I had to stop once to go to the bathroom and eat a banana.  And then I was just tired and walked for a bit.  But it got done, and it was nice to not have that hanging over my head on Saturday.

Today, Friday, I did my long run again. I have a church meeting in the morning and I didn't want to have to get up at 5 am or do it after the meeting.  That is just a recipe for failure.  So, I parceled out the kiddos and went with Roz to crank it out.  I was so flippin tired.  I felt like I was running on empty.  Rose was a darling to watch my little ones, but she had to leave by 11:45, so there was no room for error. She put a burr under both of our saddles.  

Since Roz only had to do 12 miles, I ran 2 miles on the treadmill before I picked her up. We finished just in time and I picked up the kids with 2 minutes to spare.  I am so happy I am done. But then I can't help but doubt my abilities to actually complete a marathon.  I only did a little more than halfway today and it just about killed me.

Once again, I am just going to think about my next run and that is it. Do I really have any other choice?  Plus, I can't back out now. Rinar booked my airline ticket.  I am going to have to run.  Oh well. It is what it is.

March 17, 2012

I went with Roz to Las Vegas to run in the Six Tunnels To Hoover Dam Half Marathon.

It is an up and back, up and back course. You start in the middle of the course and go one way for 3 miles, then come back.  Then you go the other way.  The other way is where all of the of tunnels and the gravel road are located.  I had to run 17 miles to keep with my marathon training schedule. Therefore, I got there early and put in  4 miles before the race started.

Then Roz and I went to the starting line about 30 seconds before the race started.  We went all the way to the back and I saw several of my Las Vegas friends, like Stacey (Rinar's old boss), and Elissa. That was pretty darn cool. The weather was less than ideal and it was kind of windy, which is a total bummer. But besides that, it was a lot of fun.


Mile 7.  Rats. About a 1/2 mile into the gravel portion of the race, I did a Pete Rose onto the course.  I don't even know what happened. One second I was thinking about how I was completely miserable and didn't know if I would make it, and then thud, crunch, smack...I was eating gravel.  

Bloody knees and a very dusty shirt and shorts.
 I laid there for a minute or so.  Then I flipped myself over like a pancake and laid on my back.  I told Roz to go ahead and run and that I would be fine. Then I got up and dusted myself off and got going again a few minutes later. It took about a mile or so, but then I felt okay enough.  In the end I ran 2:13:34.  

Me and Roz at the finish line.

I saw Johanna on the race course and said hello to her when it was all done.

Johanna is a machine.  Love that girl.
March 30, 2012

I got the weather report and saw that tomorrow (Saturday) is supposed to be windy and stormy.  Since it is on the schedule to run the big 2-0, I thought I might as well tackle it today before the winds arrive, as they were predicted to come in the p.m.


As soon as I got out of my car, it was almost gale-force winds.  Well, it might not have been quite that bad but it was bad enough, believe me.  

Let's just say that today is one of those days when running is the pits.  YUCK!  I felt totally crappy after 3 miles.  3 miles!  It was terrible.  It took me almost 4 hours to get my run done.  It was awful.

I hate the wind!  And I am not a sailor, so it is okay to have is righteous animosity.

April 21, 2012

Race day has finally come and gone and I did it.  After many, many, many moments of wanting to push the abort button leading up to this race, I powered through it and did it.  I got my butt on that starting line and finished the Salt Lake City marathon.  Hallelujah!

Roz came with me. She did the half and I did the whole darn thing.  We flew in Friday afternoon, did a session at the Salt Lake LDS Temple, ate some dinner with my brother Jamie and his wife Leah, took in some sights and then got up really early today to get 'er done.  

We caught the very last train to the race and it was packed with racers.

We started the race about 10 minutes after the gun because we were just about last in line for the bathrooms.  But there was no way I was gonna start until I took care of my business. It is a good thing too because at the first port-a-potty station the line was really long.

As I ran I made sure to give all the little kids high-fives. That was fun.

Here I am at mile 11.  And yes, I updated my Facebook status when I stopped to walk.  I was feeling pretty darn good here at mile 11. 

And then it was like 15 miles, then 16, then 17, then 18, etc. etc., etc., ...the road just kept on going and going.  Ugh.

By the time I got to Liberty Park I had an epiphany.  Marathons totally SUCK!  At Liberty Park it is less than three miles from the finish line.  It might as well have been another 20. Seriously.  What was I thinking?  A marathon? It was like I had a death wish or something.

But I got a 5th wind (it might have been when the Ibuprofen kicked in, again)  and plodded on.  Then I took a right turn on to State Street. The mile markers said it was less then 2 miles, but it looked like the road went on forever AND there was a big hill.  For real?  A big hill on the 25th mile? That is just mean.

I decided I was not going to stopped. It hurt to walk or to run, so I might as well just run and get it over with.  I almost did, except for the last hundred meters up that darn hill.  I cried uncle there.  But I was able to come in strong to the finish line. 

And I never cried one time!

Yep, that is me.  Marathon finisher. My time was terribly slow, but since I didn't speed train at all I guess it doesn't really matter.

And here is a funny little andecdote.  This couple is from New Hampshire. Here name is Diane. I can't remember his name.  They flew from Reno, with us, and we talked to them and found out they were running the marathon too.  Then when we came out of the temple, they were there visiting the temple grounds and we talked to them there.  Then when I finished the race, they were sitting in some chairs and yes, we talked to them there. Isn't that hilarious?  I took their picture and promised I would send them a copy and now whenever I go to New England, I have a place to stay!

After the race, we went to dinner with Melanie.  It was loads of fun. We ate pizza, did some shopping, ate some gelato, and just had a fun girls night together.

Melanie had to stand in front of this Restoration Hardware dresser I really liked. I needed to have  perspective on how big it was.

April 22, 2012

We came home today.  Before we left, we were able to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir perform at the Tabernacle on Temple Square for "Music and the Spoken Word". It was great.  And a neat little tidbit... President Monson was there also. Apparently, 25 of the choir members were retiring and he was there to wish them well. Cool, huh?

It was a nice end to a good weekend.  Shockingly enough, I am a bit sore though.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

I still say, why on earth would you do that to yourself (subject yourself to that much running!)? Way to get through it, Kelly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...