Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Birth Story - A Retrospect

My birth story - February 15, 2008

I want to write this all down before I forget... On Thursday night, Valentine's Day, Rinar and I dropped off Raef and Zach at the Paul's house so they could spend the night. Then we went to dinner at Outback Steakhouse. I figured that I would need alot of protein and heartiness for the next day because I knew that I would not be eating for a while. We had a lovely dinner except for when Rinar mentioned "The next time we have a baby...". I don't think it is a very wise idea to mention to a woman who is 39 weeks pregnant about a next time. You talk about those things after a few months, when there is a cute baby in your hands and no labor/pregnancy pains...but that is just a thought.

Anyways, we woke up bright and early on Friday morning. I showered and prettied myself up for my eventful, dreadful day. Rinar took a picture of me in all my womanly glory and then we headed off to St. Rose Siena Hospital. It is a lovely Catholic Hospital on the south side of Henderson. Once I checked in and put on the appropriate attire, they hooked me up to the baby monitors and then the dreaded IV. Those things hurt!!! The first one did not take, so then they found a nice juicy vein on my other hand and for the next hour and a half I was in silent agony as my hand kept screaming at me..."Get this thing out of me!" This made me even more terrified of the epidural I was getting ready to get. The last epidural I had took 5 minutes to put in and was extremely painful.

Finally, the executioner, I mean the nurse, came and we walked to the Operating Room. I sat on the bed and Dr. Sauter held my shoulders as Dr. Welch (the drug doctor) put in the spinal block. I practicing my handy breathing techniques, when to my surprise it was over before I knew it and it hardly hurt at all. I have had more pain stubbing my pinky toe on my bed frame. Then the drugs started pouring into my blood stream and I was blissfully numb. The only problem came when I started to get really nauseous and they had to put this pink, banana shaped bowl next to my head so I could throw up. Do you know what it is like to throw up when you are almost
completely numb? It sort of just trickles out of the side of your mouth. Then the Doctor piped in to say "That is why you come here fasting!" Boy was he right, because luckily there was nothing in my stomach except some nasty medicine they had me drink right before surgery.

So Dr. Sauter and Stephenson were busy getting the baby out, except he did not want to come out. He was perfectly happy in my womb. Dr. Stephenson was practically pouncing on my abdomen to dislodge the little fellow. She really worked up a sweat. I think you could liken it to a pro-wrestler falling on his victim with a lead elbow. It was something like that, but I had drugs, so what did I care? So, finally the baby was out and everyone was looking at him and I was finally like um..."people...is it a boy or a girl? Hello?" It was a boy. Deep down I knew it was a boy, even though all guesses leaned towards a girl.

You see, I watched the last five minutes of the Super Bowl and Rinar and I had already decided that if we were having a boy we were going to name him Eli...well, Elias Lynn officially. I said to Rinar, as the game was at a critical juncture, and anyone could win, "If the Giants win, we are going to have a boy." See, who needs an ultrasound when you have a Super Bowl game to determine important things in your life. The Giants quarterback is named Eli, FYI. I certainly was not naming a boy Tom or Brady, so I guess it worked out quite well.

I stayed in the hospital for 2 days and we came home Sunday afternoon. It was so nice to sleep in my own bed, although my bed doesn't have that handy button that makes it go up and down, so I really missed that when I had to get up and my belly was on fire. It felt like it was on fire till about Thursday, and now I am feeling good. I only have to pop an occasional pill, so I am happy I am out of the fog. Well, I think I covered all the interesting parts, at least the parts that are interesting to me. Thanks for all your love and support. I am so blessed to have you all in my life and I am amazed that I am now the mother to 3 boys. Heavenly Father must know what he is doing, because I would spend way too much money on girl's clothes. I am looking over at the futon and there is Rinar sound asleep with Eli on his chest, sound asleep as well. I am very blessed indeed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...