Sunday, January 10, 2016

A Recap of the Rest of the Week

It was a busy week. These days, they seem to feel like a whirlwind and then it is like, kerplunk, Sunday. I did pretty good with everything. Sugar was fairly good until the weekend, then I had some slippage. But I will get back on the bandwagon tomorrow.  I also was able to study my classic book 3 days this week. That is not too shabby. I am surprised at how much I am enjoying this book, Confessions by Saint Augustine. 

On Thursday, we ended having a pretty significant snow storm and in only an hour or so, there was quite a bit of accumulation. I am grateful that I have 4-wheel drive. I was able to drive Zach home from wrestling practice without any problem. When I got home and was wrapping up my day, I got a text from Lindsey M. asking me to come rescue her and some of her kids from the shopping mall parking lot off of 123rd South. Her husband was in Provo and couldn't help her. Lindsey was not driving a 4-wheel drive and didn't feel safe with the elevation changes. I hopped in my car and was able to pick them all up, while avoiding many cars that were stuck on the hill by the roundabout. That was a fun adventure for me.

With all of the snowfall, Rinar, Raef, Zach, and Eli spent at least two hours on Friday making a snowman family that currently adorns our front yard. They made snowmen for each one of us and it is quite a sight. I love it. And they had a blast doing it.



Saturday was pretty uneventful. I took Raef to do a seating audition for Lamb of God. I was glad he could get the experience of auditioning, even though he knows he is in the orchestra. Then in the evening we took the entire family to the athletic club to go swimming. There was practically no one at the gym, but a surprisingly large number of families using the swimming pool. I am so glad that we did that. Everyone swam, including Noelle. I put her in a floatie vest and she was pretty bold in where she would go. Noelle really enjoyed the pool and so did all of the other kids.

And today wrapped up the week nicely. We went to church and Raef and Zach played a duet in sacrament meeting. Raef played the viola and Zach was on the piano, playing "If You Could Hie to Kolob". It was marvelous. I was so nervous for them. My heart was really pounding. But the two of them were pros. They have really started to become true musicians. I can feel their emotions in the songs they play and it is just beautiful. This piece was not exception. They worked flawlessly together and really helped to bring the spirit to the meeting. It is such a blessing to have music in our home. I subbed in primary today as the pianist, as the current pianist is getting ready to move. Dottie is her name and right before Christmas her 25 year-old daughter Whitney suddenly passed away from complications from a miscarriage. It was quite shocking and so I have subbed a lot for Dottie this past month. 

When we got home from church, all of us sat down and played several rounds of Scum. It is a game that all of the kids can play, and they all do really well at it. I rarely even do myself. And then for dinner, Dottie and her husband Chris came over to eat with us. I didn't want them to be home alone and feeling sad. So they joined the craziness at our house. It was really nice. We ate a classic Sunday roast and then gave them an impromptu concert. All of the kids played something for them and I could see that they both enjoyed it. It was a blessing to be able to be with them and cheer them up and get to know them better. I am going to be sad to see them leave. I hope we will be able to stay in touch.


Oh yeah, and we tried to do this for a few days. We had a few victories, but many more defeats. But I live to fight another day. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...