Saturday, November 3, 2012

Architecture Field Trip at UNR

I am so blessed to know amazing people from church. Just a couple of weeks ago I sat next to Lyle, a wonderful teacher in Primary. I happened to ask him what he does for a living and he told me that he is at architect at the University of Nevada Reno.  It got the wheels turning in my brain and I asked if I could set up a field trip to visit a building project on campus.  And oh boy, did he pull through.

Lyle arranged for us to visit the earthquake lab and also see the new lab that they are building, the biggest one in North America.  The lab has these huge shake tables and they build actual structures and then try to destroy them with a horrific "earthquake".  When we toured the facility, they had a two story steel structure they were building for a test that is coming up.  Way cool.

Several homeschool families joined us as well as the lead professor in the engineering department.  He gave us lots of great information.  I sure learned a lot.  I hope everyone else did.


I now need to think of more field trips we can do like this and then make it happen.  All you can do is ask, right? You never know where that will take you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...