Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fear Not!

A while ago I was reading my scriptures and I had one of those aha moments. You ever had one? Well, I have had many in my life, but this moment of quiet reflection was really something that I needed to get me through this very time in my life. Heavenly Father really was giving me the tools I would need to help me build my testimony and strengthen me in times of great need.  It is amazing how He works.  Anyway, I was reading about faith and I came to a realization...

Faith is the OPPOSITE of fear!

The scriptures constantly exhort us to have faith, faith, faith, and more faith. Why? Faith is the key to God's power. It is everything. It is what fuels us. It is the means by which the world was created. It is the means by which all miracles are performed. It is why we are here. We are having a mortal experience so that we can exercise faith, strengthen our faith, and rely on our faith. The first principle of the gospel is what? FAITH.

Fear is the exact opposite of faith. It is ugly, and dark, and counter-productive. It is a tool of the adversary.  Fear makes us digress. It withers our spirit and pulls us away from God.

At this point in my life, I have made a conscience decision that I will make choices from a position of faith and not of fear. I will not choose things because I am afraid.  

Look where I am now, for heaven's sake? I am in Reno.  I am here because I prayed about it, fasted about it, thought about it using my intellect, and then took the steps I needed to take based solely on faith. I have no earthly idea why I am here.  It is not easy to pick up and move a large family to another area of the country.  But my decision was made solely on faith.

Moroni taught, "perfect love casteth out all fear." (Mor. 8:16) I can think of only one person who ever lived on this earth that had perfect love, and that was Jesus Christ.  When we exercise unfailing faith in Him and in His perfect love, ALL fear is cast out.  It doesn't say some fear, but all fear!

I have loved ones in my life who struggle and it makes me sad.  I want them to be happy and find joy in life. Circumstances may not be ideal, but there is always joy in life, no matter what trials and challenges you have.  But the saddest thing is to see people I love enshrouded in fear.  Trust God utterly and completely, no matter what crappy stuff happens to you, with total faith, and the fear will disappear. Where light is, darkness cannot abide.

With God, all things are possible.

Don't be afraid!

FAITH! FAITH! FAITH!

5 comments:

NormaKimokeo said...

Wow, Kelly! What a BEAUTIFUL post! I absolutely love your thoughts, and agree 100 percent.

This is the entry that YOU should send in to the Ensign!

Sure love you all.

Ryan and Michelle Coburn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan and Michelle Coburn said...

Thanks for your wonderful post/testimony. It's exactly what I needed to hear! I hope you and your family are doing well! -Michelle

Hoku said...

Loved it! Not always an easy task, but it's certainly our goal and life's pursuit - to continue building upon our own personal faith and see God's hand recognize our efforts in return.

Justin M. Bowen said...

So needed that! Thanks friend, I sure do miss you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...