Monday, November 8, 2010

Snow Canyon Half Marathon

Several months ago I came to a stark realization. I was never going to lose that baby weight or find time to exercise unless I had something to train for in the future. It just was not going to happen.  So, with flippant comment to Carolyn at a Relief Society Meeting, we both decided to run a half marathon.  On Saturday, we accomplished our goal and completed a half marathon.

Rinar also decided to join in the fun because he has gone all "Olivia Newton John" on me these days.  He is so into running and biking and swimming.  It is like he is possessed.  It is cool and I am glad we have something we can do together.

It was a beautiful day Saturday morning, perfect conditions for running.  I wasn't nervous at all.  I was ready to get it done.   The three of us decided to hit the potty one more time at the start of the race and every other racer must have thought the same thing. The line was ridiculous!  We all finally made it out and as I turned to start for the line, they started the race.  It was a good thing we had a timing chip so the race didn't really start until we crossed the starting line.  

I felt incredible the first 6 miles. It was so easy.  I had been diligent in getting all of my training runs done, so I knew that I was prepared.  But you never know how your body will react.  Unfortunately, I got a cramp in the 8th mile and I had to walk for a minute to get it out. Then I made sure to walk again at the 9-mile water stop.  I drank a full glass of water and some gatorade and then got going again. I really wanted to stop at mile 12 for some more water, but I decided it wasn't worth it. Either way I was going to hurt and I just wanted to get done!  The race finished on the track at Snow Canyon High School. I didn't know if we would have to run around the track, but I mentally prepared myself for any possibility.  Sure enough. We had to do a lap around the track. Whatever.  It was over soon enough.

And I ended up with a great time:  1 hour, 53 minutes and 2 seconds.  That equals out to 8:38 mile splits.  I am not going to complain about that because I never trained strenuously. It was a nice surprise.  Rinar got in at 1 hour 45 minutes and Carolyn finished in 2 hours and 6 minutes.  We all did great.

Sunday was not so good.  So. Sore. I. Couldn't. Walk.

We both looked like penguins waddling around.  But I am ready to do another soon. Watch out. Maybe I can do it faster. We shall see.


Kasey Hunt said...

Congrats. How did you find the time to run? I have three under 6 and I would love to commit to a 1/2. The furthest I've gone is 6 miles. We're you flexible with your running schedule or did you have a set time every day?

Meridy said...

Good job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...