Monday, May 5, 2014

St. George Half Ironman Weekend

We went to St. George this weekend to cheer on the Ironman athletes, but more specifically Bart W.  I have never been able to make it to one of these and I just love watching races.  It was the US Championships for the half Ironman. 

We stayed at Nordel's house and left the kids in the morning to try to go see the swim transition. Unfortunately, the road was closed so we had to settle for watching them come out of Hurricane on the bike. Luckily, we were able to spot Bart. Well, Rinar saw him. I would have missed him completely!

As we were driving back to St. George, Rinar was telling me about the course. And then it dawned on me that Rinar actually did the race last year. I was seriously clueless and didn't realize that he had competed in it.  I mean, I knew he did at some point, but I guess it did not sink in. This is what happens when you are pregnant and have moved to a new state I suppose.

We saw the competitors and Bart at several spots on the race course.  And I really wanted to be there at the finish line to see the winner come in.

And I did! Here he is...Jan Frodeno from Germany. He looked pretty stoked. When they interviewed them, he said that there were no uncensored words to describe the bike course. It was the hardest thing he had ever done. So, I guess when Rinar complained about the bike course there really was something to that.


The women's champion was from San Francisco...Meredith Kessler. I remember seeing her running out at about mile 2. She was in second place and I even said that she looked really strong. I guess I was right.


A few minutes after she finished, look who ran by...Bart.  He was giving a thumbs up to Rinar. Rinar was chasing him with his ipad, taking pictures. Bart got his best time by a few minutes. 


It is always an inspiration to see people do this kind of race. But still, I have no desire to do a triathlon. Could that change some day? I don't know. Maybe, but not likely.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...