Saturday, February 15, 2014

San Diego Some More

Another day in San Diego, and we sure had a lot of fun.  I wanted to see Coronado Island and my kids wanted to see The Lego Movie. So, Rinar took them all to the matinee and I went for a walk with Noelle. We went to the beach and we were able to see this awesome hotel. I was pretty excited about it.  It is the Hotel Coronado, the very one featured in one of my favorite movies of all time, "Some Like It Hot".  I think the movie is hilarious and stars Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, and Marilyn Monroe. As I was looking at the hotel I couldn't help but think of Josephine and Daphne frantically climbing down from the third floor of this hotel trying to escape the Chicago mobsters.  Good times.


I had to check out the lobby. The woodwork was very dark and a lot smaller than what I remembered in the movie. So, I am going to take a guess and say that they did not film from the inside of this hotel. But the lobby was pretty fantastic.


After the movie and my little stroll, we had to find some good eats. I got some recommendations from my friend Katie.  There was a lot to choose from, but we went for Hodad's, which was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. We got there just before 3 p.m. and the line was out the door. When we ordered our food, I tried to get less so that we would eat everything, but I still ordered too much stuff. Oh, well. The food was decadent and very filling. Our server was really great and I loved the ambiance. It was a fun afternoon in downtown San Diego.


I also wanted to see the Mormon Battalion in Old San Diego. The church has done an incredible job of making this an enjoyable visit. We watched a movie that was interactive. We moved from room to room. The message was wonderfully uplifting, but it still had a fun element to it. Zach, Julia, and Eli got to wear some period costumes and when the tour was over, they were able to pan for gold.



After the Mormon Battalion, we walked around the old town for a few minutes. There were a lot of people out and the atmosphere was electric. Unfortunately, every ten feet or so Harry reminded me that he wanted to go to the hotel and go swimming.  Yes, it was a very short walk.

And guess who turned 6 today?


As we were driving to San Diego this morning, Rinar's mom called to wish Eli a happy birthday.  They talked for a little while and then I heard Eli, in his innocent little voice tell his grandmother that he was sorry that grandpa died. But then he gave her some consoling words. He told her it was okay because grandpa will be resurrected someday and that when we die, we will be resurrected, too. Yep, pretty much the most perfect little kid. I am blessed, very blessed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...