Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Black and White

I think one of the best qualities of children is that they only see in black and white. Period.

This became very apparent to me yesterday as I watched a heavily-edited version of "Troy", starring Brad Pitt. We have started studying Greece for our history unit, so I thought it would be a good idea if they watched some of the movie with me.

There was one little problem with the movie. Raef and Zach were obsessed with knowing who was the good guy and who was the bad guy. They asked me at least 30 times, and all I could say was "uuuhhhhh".

As the story unfolded, it was not so clear who was "good" and who was "bad". They were both, well, both.

On one side you have Paris (Orlando Bloom) who seduces a married woman, for whom the entire Greek army will go to war for and fight to the death, all in the name of pride. King Agememnon is a wicked, murderous Greek king on the other side. And then both sides keep doing things throughout the story that are morally reprehensible.

But, since Achilles (Brad Pitt) was the best looking guy in the flick, he had to be the good guy, right?

As long as you just forget the part about him going on a murderous rage AND beating up a woman, because his cousin was stupid enough to get killed in battle.


I am confused..."Mom, is he the good guy?"

1 comment:

Meridy said...

We could all learn from kids and their black/white viewpoint!! Why do we as adults loose touch with that so much??

I scrolled down and looked at yoru craft post. And I have to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your cabinets AND your bag!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...