Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Birthday

September is my birthday month. It was a nice way to celebrate 38. Rinar was home and able to help me and do stuff to give me some free time. He even installed a bunch of motion-sensor light switches for the lights that always seem to be on, like the basement stairwell and the pantry. There is also one in the kids bathroom and the half bath. 

I was able to go to lunch with Melanie. She treated me to Blue Lemon, which opened on my birthday. There were some ladies walking around giving out presents and I came home with a t-shirt and a hat. I am a walking billboard!

Melanie and I had a wonderful lunch together and were able to catch up after a busy month of doing mom stuff.



And once again, not a word from my parents. Nothing. Crickets. It kind of bothered me for a bit, and even more so when they called me a week later. I just really didn't want to talk about it. I just didn't. It brought back memories of my 8th birthday when they completely forgot because they got into a big fight. It was pretty miserable, I am not going to lie. And every time this happens, it just takes me back there.  I have thought about what I want to do about it because it bothers me with how much it bothers me.

So now I have a plan. Next year, I am going to call them on my birthday. They never remember, so I will remember for them. I will call them and have a nice conversation and remind them that it is my birthday and then the problem will be solved. I really like this plan. I don't like all of the attention anyway. But it is nice for my parents to remember me.

1 comment:

likeschocolate said...

That is a tough one! My mom was never big on my birthday as a child and it really bothered me. I am not sure if it was because we were poor or what! My friends were really pretty good at stepping up to the plate. If you feel comfortable talking honestly with your mother I might say, "Mom, I love you, but it really hurts my feelings that you didn't remember my birthday. She may not know how much it hurts your feelings. Birthdays may not be her thing. Sorry you didn't feel loved. Happy Belated Birthday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...